Surviving life in PA

This is my first attempt to blog about my family,my work, and whatever else I might find interesting. I live in Pa with 5 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a husband. I work as a homebirth midwife, teach college nursing students and spend most of my free time with my family.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

So, it's been awhile since I posted. Part of the problem is although I can get online and read stuff, typing is hard since I am lying down with a baby at the breast. I'll get to my thoughts on that in a moment.

So what have I been up to? Well working at the hospital, running my kids around to brownies, CCD, bible clubs, and other various kid things. I have started listening to audio tapes to make my time more productive. Trying to hold a conversation with all 5 kids in the car is a joke! We really need a CD player or an ipod so we can listen to more kids books on tapes or decent kid music. I can't stand cheap, stupid-sounding kid songs!

We are taking a parenting class at a local chuch while the kids go to bible clubs. We really need this and are really enjoying it. It is practical, down to earth and not too preachy. It's goal-oriented which is right up my alley. Here are some of our basic goals for each kid (note: I realize some of this is pretty lofty, but I am hoping for improvement, not cures)

Megan: More independence, doing a more thorough job with chores, scheduling time better, etc. She is 16, wants to drive in 2 months and just got a part time job, so she needs to learn not to rely on us so much. She is doing well so far.

Courtney: Dealing with moods, anxiety, anger. We are working with an OT and hopefully some behavioral therapy to give her the skills to learn to deal with strong emotions. Heck, most adults could benefit from learning to deal with their emotions. I still throw some pretty good temper tantrums, so I don't know if I am always the best role model.

Hayley: Spending more time with her, making sure to make her feel special. Teaching her to do more for herself (like making her own bagel, get own drink, clean up after herself, etc.)

Justin: Learning to come when he wants to speak to us and not standing in another room and yelling until we come. Learning patience, how to ask not demand, clean up after himself, and practicing 123 magic for his temper tantrums.

Joshua: We are desperate for some sleep. He is waking 8-10 times per night, wants the breast in his mouth the whole night and wants me to lie down with him for naps and at bedtime. Which is impractical and getting old! I want to spend more time with some of the other kids, not just lying on the bed being a big nipple!!! So we are using Elizabeth Pantleys book "no cry sleep solution". We are on day 3, too early to make any great pronouncements.

I am also ice skating on Saturdays with the kids. It is lots of fun, exercise, and I enjoy learning how to do some of the moves. Now I realize I won't be going to the Olympics anytime soon, but it is fun! And my kids like to do something all together!

We are getting more involved with girl scouts, the girls seem to really enjoy their troops and doing the activities. I may get involved as an assistant leader next year with Hayley's troop (it's that guilt thing about not spending enough time with her).

Alright, that's enough, baby is starting to move and start up again. Anyone who reads this and has any great sleep advice is welcome to post. You would think I would have this down by kid 5, but no, still no idea on how to make a baby sleep by themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home