Today my family was supposed to go to Hersheypark. My oldest daughter brought a friend to make the numbers even and help us with the little ones. My husband was to take all the kids exept the baby, I would bring him up after his nap.
Started out with everyone arguing, getting all anxious, etc. My 11 yo with anxiety issues, sensory issues, etc. had a SERIOUS meltdown right before my husband was to leave. We tried everything: breathing, offering to let her stay home (she really wanted to go, just stressed out about upcoming day) gave her rescue remedy and calms forte, got out her knitting, had her lay in bed and listen to music. Nothing helped, I ended up videotaping her for her therapist to see.
So they finally leave, I lay down with baby. My husband calls to tell me my 4 yo (with sensory issues) won't ride any rides and is basically complaining everything is too loud and he just sits on the bench covering his ears and rocking. Doesn't want to leave, just wants to sit there.
So I drive all the way over there with the baby thinking that maybe he can ride the kiddie rides with his brother (4yo has been to this park before and walt disney world two times, not first time at park!). 4yo says he is excited to show baby brother all the cool stuff. But when I get there, He just won't cooperate, won't even ride train or monorail, so I end up leaving with the two boys. He's not upset or throwing a fit, just doesn't want to be there. I am tired and frustrated and realize that is almost 5pm and I have accomplished nothing but alot of frustration! What a test of my patience!
What a frustrating day! Now my husband is on his way home and says my 11yo is again tired and having fits, he hopes she falls asleep on the way home. She had a decent day, but had to have frequent rest periods. My husband is tired and frustrated having to deal with all of this today and knowing that tomorrow I will be at work until 4 and he will have all 5 kids to deal with again.
Both my son and daughter have had OT, so we have strategies in place, but today it didn't seem to matter what we tried, they just wouldn't cooperate.
Thanks for letting me vent, sometimes I don't think people realize how difficult days can be when your kids have these issues. People can't see these issues like they can physical handicaps and don't realize why your kids are acting like they are. Or how much emotional energy they can take just to get through one day. And I feel bad that my 7yo gets cast aside while her dad and I try to deal with the others. I think I will take her on a "date" this weekend, just the two of us to reward her patience and good behavior.
I can't stand being cooped up in the house with the kids all day, but days like today make me realize that going out isn't all that great either. Really, at this point, I just want to spend a day lying around on the couch, reading, doing nothing.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home