Surviving life in PA

This is my first attempt to blog about my family,my work, and whatever else I might find interesting. I live in Pa with 5 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a husband. I work as a homebirth midwife, teach college nursing students and spend most of my free time with my family.

Monday, July 10, 2006

What did I do today?????

So I often go to bed at night and think what did I accomplish today? Because it does really seem like I spend all day putting out fires, changing diapers, listening to arguing (and not always dealing with that in a mature, adult way) and desperately trying to find some peace and quiet. Oh, and I try to nap. This is essential for both my health and well-being and my family's health and well-being. I do not sleep well at night, the baby wants to nurse constantly and I am constantly being awakened by his searching for the nipple that fell out of his mouth. It's like some sort of torture ritual, see how mom does if we wait until she is asleep, wait for the REM, then POW! someone wake her. If it's not the baby then it's a dog,a cat,a husband snoring,a 4 year old with nightmare, or another assorted kid with another assorted problem. I am not a very nice mommy between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

So anyway, last weekend I decided to try to make a list of what kinds of things I did all day. Here is my weekend (this is the weekend of July 1-2).
Saturday:
-craft show in the morning complete with food, crafts, kids activities, dog show, and a magician. Fun, but hot.
-Nap with baby (best part of the day)
-wake up from nap, family is MIA. Turns out my husband decided to build a swingset from scratch and makes trip #1 to Lowe's to get some supplies
-entertain myself by watching husband try to figure out how to build swingset while children "help" and offer their suggestions
-Steam clean living room and ottoman
-Install new DVD movie program, curse alot, attempt to figure it out, give up and go find a kid to explain it to me
-Light fire and roast marshmallows (why do we ever think this is a good idea? Results in lots of whining, crying, dropping of marshmallows, stealing all the chocolate,...and you should see how the kids were behaving)
-Read news online, check email (I got a new computer, my precious!)
-Pick up daughter from work and let her drive (good for the nerves you know)
-Stop at subway for dinner
-practice my piano song (wonderful thing about tiggers is what I am currently working on, you know, the classics)
-sit outside while husband continues with swingset and watch kids catch lightning bugs

Sunday:
-vacuum and steam car (that was totally insane, it was like 90 degrees, but while I am doing this, I can't hear anything but the hum of the vacuum and steamer, ah, some peace and quiet)
-Made a big brunch for everyone, which means, I actually cooked something, a rare occurrence
-Take daughter to work and later pick her back up (again, with the driving)
-Husband still working on swingset, takes older kids to Lowes for trips 2 and 3! 3rd times a charm, right?
-Grocery shopping (I really hate this,my ADD kicks in and I feel totally overwhelmed, forget half the junk and pick up lots more junk I don't need and neither does my butt!)
-make up fruit tray for party this evening (ok, so I didn't actually make the fruit tray, but I did watch my older kids make it and supervised, that counts for something)
-play around with my new computer program and call my kids whenever I screw something up, finally decide I should assign them the project-
-Practice the piano
-load of laundry
-go hang out at friends picnic and visit


So, anyway, turns out I do alot over the weekend. Maybe not the stuff I would like to be doing, but still, there's alot to do with a family of 7!

-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home