Surviving life in PA

This is my first attempt to blog about my family,my work, and whatever else I might find interesting. I live in Pa with 5 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a husband. I work as a homebirth midwife, teach college nursing students and spend most of my free time with my family.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to ME!

It's my birthday! I am 36 years old and feel like I am getting older by the minute. My big plans for today: See my chiropractor because I hurt my back and couldn't sleep all night. Now that sounds like a fun and wild day, huh?

I like lists, so probably many of my posts will be lists. I made up a list of what I have accomplished in the last year. I like to do that every year on my birthday so I can see in writing where the year went. It occurred to me this morning that more or less my life is half over. Wow! That's a sobering thought. Of course I could die tomorrow in a car crash, but I try to be somewhat positive.

So here is my accomplishments in random order (you know because my brain is too old to put them in chronological order)
-spent last years birthday in doctor's office getting nonstress test done and basically wasting my time
-broke a rib
-had a wonderful waterbirth surrounded by family and friends
-spent the fall having a "babymoon"
-Had a lovely christmas where everyone was actually healthy!
-Started teaching at community college as an adjunct clinical instructor.
-Decided one day it was time to move, so within a week listed our house and within 2 months had bought, sold, rented, repaired, and moved. Definitely a stressor but I LOVE my new house and LOVE my new area so it was definitely the right decision. I asked God to help out if this was the right move and he made sure we had no doubts.
-My teenager is starting to drive!
-My baby is starting to walk!
-Delivered my first baby as my own independent midwife! Had a lovely waterbirth
-Tried to make it a point to spend more time with kids doing "nothing" and not watching the clock, trying to squeeze in a phone call, email or some cleaning while they want my attention!
-lost 30 lbs! And it was not easy, my body seems to fight the weight loss every pound of the way!
-decided to try a new sport, tennis, still recovering from that experience, but we had fun, I think I will stick with that for a bit and see how it goes!
-died my hair a ridiculous shade of bright red and had to spend alot to get it repaired. Decided I liked it darker, so will keep it that way for now.

OK, so it was a busy year! Just the part about having the baby and moving and starting a new job, I think on the stress scale puts me up there! But it has been a happy year, I can't complain. All the things that have happened have been good, not bad. Now that I work in the cancer unit with the students I have really come to appreciate more of the little things, the stuff we take for granted.

So Happy Birthday to me! I hope to blog more often. I come up with great blogs in my head, it's just getting them down onto to paper or the computer that is the problem!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kath said...

You go, girl!

Happy Birthday - hope it was a good one!

Still waiting for that Luau...

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home